Sunday, August 18, 2013

Feeling Good, but Dreading Surgery

It has been 4 weeks and 3 days since my last radiation treatment.  I've really started to feel better.  I can eat almost anything, but some stuff (beer, pop) still do not taste right.  I split a beer with Caroline last night before the Timber's game that tasted good.  I was very optimistic, so I grabbed another at half time -- it did not taste so good.  Oh well.  There were six of us a dinner at Thai Orchid on Burnside (Zeiglers and Steinfelds).  We ordered a variety of dishes and they all tasted very good to me.

Last week Steve Z and I did our normal 2.5 mile walk at lunch every day.  It is getting easier, but I'm still pretty tired and sweaty when we get done.  I do get much hotter than I used to and way hotter than Steve.  I have not started swimming yet, hopefully next week -- I put the towels and swim gear into my car yesterday.

My brother Sherwood visited last weekend.  It was a great weekend, I was really glad he came.  Sherwood, Powel (my other brother), and I toured the Columbia River Gorge on Friday 8/9 and as part of that we drove up to Larch Mountain and hiked to Sherrard point, about 3/8 mile uphill from the parking lot.  I had to rest twice on the way and felt a little light-headed at the sun-drenched lookout area.  I think if I did the same walk today I would do much better.  Here we are at Sherrard Point (left to right: Powell, Sherwood, Sam).


Every day  surgery draws closer and I get more nervous about life after surgery.  I try not to think about it too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment