Sunday, August 4, 2013

July 29 - Aug 2: Improvements, finally

I'm starting to improve.  It is incremental improvement, not dramatic improvement, but I can eat more foods without serious pain.  I rarely experience nausea.

There are still a lot of foods which hurt after I swallow until I swallow some water, room-temperature water. I'm still pretty sensitive to temperature.  Cold foods like ice-cream, ice water, etc., hurt to eat or drink.  One of the most bothersome problems is taste.  Beer just doesn't taste good.  I think the more complicated something tastes, the less likely I am to like it.  Fritos taste great.

Strength is slow coming back.  I walked at lunch with Steve Z every day at work last week (Steve S. joined us a few times).  The walk was about a mile.  It was hard and did not seem to get easier by the end of the week.  When I wake up I still feel really weak when I'm brushing my teeth, almost like I might keel over.

I've started to get more regular.  I think the constipation and abdominal cramp issues are over, thankfully.

Every week surgery looms a little closer (Sept. 11) and becomes more real.  Martha shares with me some of the stuff that's going to happen after surgery, different "stages" of eating from "nothing through the mouth", i.e., feeding tube, for the first 4 weeks, then pure liquids only (Ensure, Boost), then pureed "a little bit of texture", etc.  At each stage I have to gain some weight to get to the next sage.  I'm dreading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment