Sunday, July 7, 2013

July 1-5, Third full week

Treatment so far: 4 out of 6 chemotherapy treatments, 16 of 25 radiation treatments.  I am pretty sure Dr. Hanson said the swallowing pain will max out after treatment 20, on Thursday.  Next weekend ought to be really pleasant.

This week is the similar to last week, most symptoms get a little worse.  Last week's worst symptom was cramping, which I attributed to constipation, a side effect of chemo.  This week, the day before chemo I started taking Durolax, an over the counter stool softener.  The cramping was way more subdued, so maybe it helped.

Swallowing food down my esophagus is getting more painful.  It feels like there's a tender open sore about 1/2 way down to my stomach and right at that point there is also an obstacle, something that makes the food linger on its way down.  I chase down many swallows with room-temperature water.

Eating is Not Much Fun

The queasiness, starting for me on the evening of day 2 after chemo, seems slightly worse this week.  Like last week I have this bad combo:  it hurts to swallow food, I'm queasy a few days each week, food doesn't taste as good.  What I want to do is not eat as much.

Three Pounds Lost: Concern

I met with Dr. Hanson (radiation) on Tuesday.  He was concerned that I'd lost 3 pound from the previous week.  Every Monday when I go in for radiation they weigh me.  This weigh-in is not very precise. I'm fully dressed with shoes on, etc.  I weighed 242 last Monday, which by the way is at least 35 pounds overweight.  He had me meet with the nutritionist again.  They both told me to eat.  The nutritionist said if I lost too much weight there's a surgically-installed feeding tube with my name on it.  She gave me (for the second time) a list of high-calorie recipes.  The focus is supposed to be high-fat, not so much carbs, but since the only measure is weight...  The "mac and cheese" recipe includes 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 2 cups grated cheddar.

I think they're making way too big of a deal over 3 pounds out of 245 pounds.  Maybe they're just being cautious.  I have been trying to eat more since Tuesday.  It is hard given all the effects of the radiation and chemo treatment (see above, Eating is not much fun).  I've stocked the pantry with my favorite snack foods, dry-roasted peanuts, potato chips, and ice cream in the fridge.  On the weekends we have a box of Cinnabons.  It must be hard to imagine, but I have to gently force myself to eat any of this, although sometimes the ice cream is soothing, for a while.  I was able to eat 4 or 5 pieces of my favorite pizza (Round Table) last night.  Normally I love the smell and the taste, but both were slightly off.  Fortunately, not so off that it was horrible.  Last night, I wanted to stop after the first piece, but given the pressure, I kept eating.

I am going to be upset if I loose my taste for these "foods" in a permanent way because of this treatment.  Normally I try, not always successfully, to avoid all the above.  But just knowing that if I have a pizza or some ice cream it is going to taste sooo good, makes the broccoli and Fiber One bearable.  Right now, broccoli and Fiber One are not edible.

3 comments:

  1. What about smoothies? Does the texture of the food impact the pain of swallowing? Is the queasiness impacted by the type of food? Does the amount of food lead to anything? i.e. if you could stand to eat 10 slices of pizza would that lead to increased nausea and/or cramping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would medical marijuana be an option to ease the symptoms of chemo and not wanting to eat? Our brother-in-law in Kansas City is taking edible hashish and his appetite has increased and he's gained back a lot of weight. I know it's leagal here but not sure about Oregon. You have a great attitude-hang in there. I know this is such a bummer for you and Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Medical marijuana: one of my kids was asking the same question. I'm going to ask my oncologist on Wednesday and see what he says.

    Smoothies: Everything impacts pain of swallowing: texture, temperature, size of one swallowed amount., etc. So far, if something hurts I chase it down with room-temperature water. I'm not doing a lot of experimentation at this point - when I'm hungry I eat what's been working. Martha is making a great turkey sandwich with avacado that is my main meal. As to the amount, I can only eat so much before I just don't feel like eating. At this point I'm not going to gamble by overeating.

    ReplyDelete