Saturday, November 2, 2013

Oct 30: Chemo Round Two Begins

Oct 30: Chemo Round Two Begins

I just finished my first round of chemo.  My schedule is to go 4 times, once every 3 weeks, so I'll be done with treatment 9 weeks from today if all goes as expected.  As I well know, done with treatment does not mean it gets better.  The 3-4 weeks after my last chemo session will be when I'll feel the worst.  Also, I will definitely lose my hair this time.  

I had chemo and radiation over a six week period prior to surgery.  Why am I having a second round of chemo?  When my surgeon, Dr. Dunst, removed most of my esophagus she sent all the tissue to pathology to be examined.  The report came back that I had six lymph nodes and three contained live cancer cells.  The original tumor had shrunk, but had not been totally "killed".

Only six lymph nodes?  Dr. Dunst said this number is unusually small, she said the pathology lab knew she'd be calling back so they double checked.  Yes, only 6.  She expected the number to be in the 15-22 range.  She does not know why there were only 6.

Three of six lymph nodes have live cancer cells in them.  This fact is why I'm in chemo for a second time.  The cancer cells have proven they can "travel" since they've moved to different lymph nodes.  Have any live cancer cells gotten out of the lymph system and traveled to other parts of my body?  There is no data to know this right now.  I've talked with three doctors about this, my surgeon, my original oncologist (chemo guy), and an oncologist Dr. Dunst really respects at her hospital.  All three said "we do not know if cancer cells have traveled."  All three seemed to say either "it is likely" or "why take a chance?"  That is, you should have another round of chemo.  So I am.

I've been dreading this day for weeks, ever since Martha and I decided it was the best course.  The chemo drugs I'm taking are quite different than last time and being given at full strength.  In the original six week chemo-plus-radiation, the purpose of the chemo was more to enhance radiation than as chemo by itself.  Also, the fact that I was taking chemo every week meant (I think) that they had to give me a less powerful dose.  I believe my Oncologist said "50% strength".  Now I have a 3 week interval between treatment in which to recover so I'm getting full strength.

2 comments:



















  1. Hello viewers all over the world am fred monica, I want to testify of what destiny do for me. i was having a very notorious and serious sickness called HIV i contacted these infection from my ex husband and was very in lost of hope i never believed i was going to be cured until i meant these great man called destiny who God send to help me cure my sickness . just a few moment with these great man he cured my infection i want you to know that all hope is not lost until every thing is done if you also have these following infections contact these email destinysmart11@gmail.com now.
    HIV/aids
    typhoid fever
    gonorrhea
    lancer fever.
    epilency.
    lung cancer.
    and also these man can also help you in giving you a very good help just give him a try and your problems will be solved just a contact with him.once again here is his email ;destinysmart11@gmail.com. all call him +2348104933655 All thanks to dersiny Regard. GOOGLUCK..........











    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT ILLUMINATI temple money and power,
    JOIN Illuminati CALL + 2348107345943 OR info.
    homeofrichieandfame@gmail.com
    Are you a business man or woman, political, musician, student,
    the one you want to be rich, famous, powerful in life, participate Illuminati
    fraternity cult today and get instant rich sum. 1 million dollars
    for a week, and a free home. anywhere you choose to live in this world and
    also get 500,000 U.S. dollars monthly as a salary ...
    BENEFITS PROVIDED FOR NEW MEMBERS acceding ILLUMINATI.
    A cash reward of $ 1 million USD
    A new Sleek dream appreciated
    A Dream House bought in the country of your choice
    A month leave (fully paid) to your dream destinations.
    A year Golf Membership package
    A V.I.P treatment at all airports in the world
    A total lifestyle change
    Access to Bohemian Grove
    Monthly payment of $ 500.000 USD to your bank account every month as a
    member
    A month booked Recruitment of Top 5 world leaders and Top 5 Celebrities
    in the world.
    If you are interested call agent now + 2348107345943or send your e-mail
    to info.homeofrichieandfame@gmail.com~~V immediately initiation.New
    Members registration is now open online

    ReplyDelete